Making a suit bag
Some time ago, while browsing Pinterest, I realized that men’s suits could be a good source of interesting fabric. So I bought some old suit coats from Goodwill (I received nothing for this mention). I laid them aside while I decided how I would use them.
I browsed Pinterest (I received nothing for this mention) for ideas that I could use. Nothing struck me as interesting. So the suit coats stayed where they were. Finally, an idea on Pinterest caught my eye. I liked the idea of the product, but I didn’t like the way they made it.
Here’s what I did to make my suit bag:
1. Separate the front from the back at the back of the collar by ripping the seam
2. Remove the back, shoulder pads, and sleeves by ripping the seams
3. Remove the linings by ripping the seams
4. Decide on the shape of the bag, and cut to that shape
5. Cut the back to the same shape as the front
6. Stabilize the fabric for the back, sides, and bottom
7. Cut the shirt to the correct size and shape
8. Sew the front and back of the shirt together to make a pocket
9. Baste the shirt to the suit front
10. Sew the top of the shirt to the top of the coat at the back suit collar
11. Grade the shirt seams
12. Cut and sew the belt to form the shoulder strap
13. Sew the outer layer
14. Hand baste the seam allowances on the coat layer so that they would permanently lay flat
15. Sew buttons to the front coat layer for stability
16. Apply the magnetic snap
17. Stabilize the lining
18. Sew the lining
19. Hand sew the lining to the outer bag
20. Create support for the bottom of the bag by:
Cutting and sewing the outer layer
Insert stabilizer into sewn unit
Hand sew final seam
21. Cut and hand sew pocket handkerchief
All in all, I had a blast sewing this up. It tickled my fancy. Additional features include: a fully adjustable shoulder strap, six exterior pockets, and two interior pockets.
As usual, notification that the product is ready for sale goes to our “First Chance” mailing list first. If no one on the list wishes to purchase it, it will be listed in our Etsy store one week later.