Alcohol / Sharpie Marker Dyeing, Part 2

A few months after visiting my friend, when we did the alcohol ink dyeing, I decided to try the process on my own. Our local office supply store made a bundle because I bought several bundles of markers – different sizes, tips, and colors.

The next stop was to find some fabric. In my stash I found a satin-like fabric that I seldom use. My quilts and bags tend to feature natural fibers. The satin-like fabric was already cut into smallish sized pieces.

I decided to put random designs on each of the pieces. Different color combinations went onto different pieces of fabric. After all, I was conducting a scientific experiment (well, maybe) to find out how the Sharpie markers worked under different conditions. (Nothing was exchanged for this consideration – the Sharpie Company has never been in contact with me.)

After marking all of the fabric, plus some yarn, it was time to dye. Would I get results to dye for? (Hee, hee.) I took the swatches and a flat aluminum tray outside. My first mistake is that I went to the back porch. I thought I would be very careful. Well, I was careful, but I did end up spilling a drop or two of dyed alcohol onto the porch. And drying the swatches in the sun was a bit of a challenge because of the frequent wind around here.

Dyeing happened in color groups. I laid the swatches flat on the aluminum tray, then sprayed them with alcohol. I found that my nitrile gloves were VERY useful for preventing dyed skin. It was interesting to see the colors blend into one another. After one color, like the red family, I emptied out the tray of alcohol and dye, then proceeded with the other color group.

I found that the dye soaks through fabric at different rates depending on the type of weave – plain weave (think quilting cotton), versus a satin weave (often done in polyester with a shiny side). Will I try dyeing fabric this way again? I don’t know. I might.

Another time I was making some poinsettia flowers out of ribbon. I didn’t have access to stamens that were the color I wanted them to be. I got out my chisel tipped markers in the colors of yellow, lime green, and red, not to mention my gloves again. The yellow went on first. I colored the stem green next, slightly extending the color onto tip. Finally, I put a red dot on the tip. Success!

The mad scientist sprang into existence again. I took all of the chisel tip Sharpie markers I had and colored a swatch of white ribbon in each of the different colors. But no alcohol. It was interesting to see the intense color that these large markers gave to the swatches. I did cheat a little – I used a brush tip marker for the brown color.

In this process I found that, even with the same company manufacturing the ink, red in the large chisel tip markers were not always interchangeable with the regular markers.

Featured Posts
Search By Tags
Recent Posts
    Follow US

    Contact Us

    Success! Message received.